Friday, May 13, 2016

Architecture and Design...

As we came into Wisconsin, I discovered that Frank Lloyd Wright's House, Taliesin, was within an hour of our campground. I had to go. So Craig and I drove an hour to see his primary home in Spring Green, WI. It was beautiful and if I could live in this picture, I would. There were acres and acres of grass, and of course the amazing home, which is still occupied by staff and students at his school of architecture. A must see.










He even dammed a stream to make a pond in front of the house. Of course, he also created a way to supply electricity to the house from the small waterfall he created. I was mesmerized. Way ahead of his time. If I come back to Wisconsin, I'll see more of his work.







On the way back we stopped to see design of a different kind. The Dickeyville Grotto is an amazing collection of folk art around  the Holy Ghost Catholic Church in Dickeyville, WI. The display consists of several shrines made from found objects, created with incredible attention to detail. We all thought it was worth a visit










Even the birds got an amazing place to live. decorated with tile, stone and meticulous detail. Stop by if you have the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment