Saturday, July 2, 2016

Some Cool Sights...

We went out to see the only glacier in Kenai Fjords National Park that can be accessed via hiking. It was a little cloudy but we went anyway. It started to rain just as we reached the trailhead. By the time we reached the glacier we were soaked. We didn't spend any time there and just hurried back. Redo next day for the ladies. It was beautiful, sunny and warm. Tom remembers when you could touch the glacier, but it has receded to the point where that is not possible. We enjoyed ourselves anyway, and got in our 10,000 steps.









Next, we decided to explore the Park via a cruise with Major Marine Tours. Luckily we had another beautiful sunny day. We spent about 7 hours cruising the park on a nicely appointed catamaran, with a park ranger to narrate the tour. Ranger Chad was great and we learned a lot. We've all seen glaciers before, but Craig and I had only seen them from a cruise ship. Our viewpoint was from above the glacier. It was much more impressive seeing them from the water. And they are that blue.  




We saw humpback whales, lots of them, and one breached about 100 yards from the bow. That was cool, but of course I have no photo. I get so excited that I forget to take the camera or forget to take a picture. After that, I just didn't take the camera and watched as the whales splashed, slapped their tales on the water and pushed their noses out of the water as they took in a big meal. I think that is a good thing, though. I don't want to miss the experience while trying to document it. The pictures will never show anyone what I saw and they are never the way I remember. Does that make me a bad blogger? 

In the same area where we saw the whale breach, we also saw a pod of orcas. That was not something we had seen before.








Trying to redeem by blogger status, I did include a couple of pics, puffins and sea lions. Just cause they are cute. 

Only two more days until the 4th of July and the Mount Marathon Race. Stay tuned.




No comments:

Post a Comment