Saturday, July 9, 2016

The Russian Connection...

We are off to Soldotna, for a little salmon fishing. Hail to the King, Salmon. But on the way, I had to make a trip to the top of Skyline Drive. It was our first clear day, and like we were told, you could see forever. The whole city, the spit, mountains and glaciers. It was beautiful, and as usual the pictures don't do it justice.



We stopped at many more viewpoints on the way. Each view more amazing than the next. As usual, I wanted to lallygag along the way, so I stole the truck and went looking for old, Russian churches. Craig headed into Soldotna, but he tells me that he did stop at the view points. I knew he could do it.

The first stop on my drive was Nikolaevsk, Alaska, just outside of Anchor Point on the Sterling Highway. The town was settled by Old Believers of the Russian Orthodox Church, and remains that way to this day. I stopped by the small church and then, a sign that read "RV, Cafe, Gifts" led me to the Samovar Cafe and Nina Fefelov. I had some lunch and learned a lot about Nina and her town. The food was excellent and the experience was a hoot. I left without any Russian souvenirs and I did not dress in the traditional costume, but did take some of her special tea. I only hope I can do it justice.


RV Park











Samovar Cafe

Pelmini, Russian Dumplings















The next stop was Ninilchik, Alaska and the Transfiguration of Our Lord Church, on a hill overlooking the bay. It was a quiet walk to the top, and an amazing view. It is still an active graveyard, with a section devoted to the American Legion.

I could see that being laid to rest near a quaint church overlooking the sea and surrounded by wildflowers wouldn't be a bad place to be.




No comments:

Post a Comment